Tuesday 8 November 2011

This, that, and the other.

Well, Halloween blew by before I knew it.

I met my parents near the farm on the 29th and we went on to Pike where the RRRG Nurse Rachets were playing New Hampshire's Blazing Betties. The Betties drew from ~4 teams to make a 9(?) skater roster, including 3 skaters from BC Roller's Parlor City Tricks (I never did write about the State College bout, did I?). Delicate Mother and I NSO'd in the penalty box. Delicate Mother has NSO'd with me in the penalty box before, so she's a semi-old hand at it. (She heard Elvis Refley ask me if I'd NSO last summer at the first bout she came to and she promptly volunteered herself. Obviously, she had NO idea what was going on, so I told Elvis he had two NSO's if he could put us somewhere together. We've NSO'd in the penalty box together since then whenever possible.)

Each time I NSO in the box, I learn something new. This time, it was the importance of a well-marked penalty box. Each team ended up with jammers having to serve an extra minute due to leaving the box when they were told "stand" (rather than at the appropriate "done" cue). I'm pretty sure there's video of me yelling at one jammer (probably both, actually) to sit back down and that they'd just earned another minute of penalty time.

The video also includes a moment of roof footage. The penalty box was situated on an outside curve and I had the seat closest to the skaters, with Delicate Mother on the far side and the sound system beyond her. The pack was coming down the straight-away when I realized that there was a body sliding along the floor on the OUTSIDE of the track. The trajectory of the skater's slide included the front leg of the video tripod and ended with... me. Thankfully the videographer pulled the camera back just in time for Rusty Nailher (aka BC Roller's coach/captain) to slip under the leg of the tripod and then Rusty twisted so that she grabbed the penalty box chairs in front of me, almost face-planting herself on them in the process. A grin at me, and Rusty was gone.

Brain's gone zombie, so that's all for now!

No comments: